Friday, February 2, 2007

Despite laws saying that Government docs are public domain, lawyer finds drm block

I hate PDFs with the fire of a thousand suns, but this goes far beyond that.
"DMCA makes it illegal for me to use works that are completely in the public domain...it tells me that I have permission to read and print the document, but not to copy from it. Because there is no copyright, the government has no right to prevent me from copying...I have no hacking skills; I'm just a non-profit lawyer trying to read a government document. Normally I'd buy some software utility that would let me do this, but such a utility is something the DMCA definitely prohibits. I better start writing my petition for a Copyright Office exemption next time they grant them in two years."
LINK

No comments: